Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

What a hot one it was out there today! I missed all the campers, of course, but it was nice to have a day off in this sweltering heat. I hope everyone is staying cool and maybe watching the Macy's fireworks display.

Well, these first two days of camp have gotten me pretty excited for the days that are to come. The kids are all great; I can't wait to really get to know them in these next few weeks. I've only gotten brief glimpse into their minds but I can tell - they're really bright and this will make for a wonderful learning experience, for me too!

They've already built robot arms (which will be programmed to function later this week), lego carts, and several electrical circuits! They also came up with their own inventions to harness energy from everyday activities like riding a bicycle or running water in their homes. When asked for alternatives to fossil fuels, Rori suggested to implement "turbines in pipes, rain drainage and flood pipes that turn water that's moving into electricity." Great idea, Rori!

I'd like to thank Deutsche Bank Americas Foundation for sponsoring this awesome summer experience. We even had a representative visit to help out with the circuits yesterday. Special thanks to the parents for joining us for breakfast on Monday and to Abby for introducing the SOCCKET, the eco-friendly portable generator/soccer ball.

1 comment: